Data journalism internship! Join our team
Are you data-curious, internet savvy, and interested in journalism? Do you design or write code? If that describes you – we’re looking for you!
This is a paid internship for the summer of 2020, and you will have the opportunity to learn and/or sharpen your journalistic and data skills.
Interns will have the opportunity to:
- Conduct research, analysis, and write data posts
- Build out or enhance our projects such as our housing exploration tool, or our indicators
- Reimagine new ways to present data to our readers
- Dig into Census, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Federal Reserve, and many other data sets both public and bespoke
The ideal candidate is aching to crunch numbers, but also wants to make them come alive online. Interns work out of Newsday’s Melville office.
Excel, SQL, Python or R experience is essential, any additional coding experience will be a bonus.
- This is a summer internship. Preferred majors: Journalism, Communications, Applied Social Science, Mathematics, Statistics
- Students may be requested to work flexible hours due to business need and be available to work full-time (40 hours/week)
- Should have a valid driver’s license with good driving record. Interns must have a car to travel to our Newsday office in Melville.
Interested candidates should provide a cover letter, resume, references and writing or coding samples.
If you have read this far, you should definitely apply through this link.
If you have any questions about this internship, feel free to email us here.